Belts Buying Guide: Frequently Asked Questions
What Do They Do?
They move all the parts of your car or SUV that have to move. If they didn't, the luxury ride you love wouldn't run at all.
How Many and What Kinds are There?
Three: serpentine, drive (also called V-belts), and timing.
What Do Serpentine Belts Do?
Move alternator parts, power steering parts, and many others in many other systems. They work with crank and idler pulleys and tensioners to get the job done.
What Do V- and Drive Belts Do?
Pass through the radiator, water pump, and more, helping move their parts as they travel. They work with the crank pulley.
What Do Timing Belts Do?
Ensure the camshaft and crankshaft synchronize. This helps prevent auto parts from colliding with each other. Newer Lexus models may use timing chains instead, to do the same.
What are the Signs They're Going Bad?
- The serpentine belt may crack or develop shallow grooves.
- The drive or V-belts may become too tight or too lose, crack, squeal, cause alternator problems, or cause engine overheats.
- The timing belt or chain may show general damage.
When Do You Replace Them?
- Change the serpentine belt if you see the signs mentioned above. Otherwise, take care of it every 90,000 miles. (You should also inspect it every 60,000 miles.)
- Change the V- or drive belts when they present symptoms, mentioned above.
- Change the timing belt when it starts to show signs of failure. Otherwise, do it every 60,000 to 90,000 miles.
- The timing chain (if your car or SUV has one), may never need changing, as it's designed to last an engine's lifetime.
Still unsure when to change them? Check your owner's manual for more info and details. Before you buy replacements, though, be sure they're genuine.
Why Buy Genuine Lexus Belts?
Unlike the belts on the aftermarket, they're guaranteed compatible with the model you drive.
Where Can I Order Genuine OEM Belts for My Lexus?
Right here online. Just browse our catalog by model and model year; it'll help you find what fits a lot more quickly and easily. Buy now, and we'll ship ASAP, delivering right to your door.
- GS F,
- GS Turbo,
- 1 more
No results found for "belt, serpentine belt, timing belt". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!