Brake Pads Buying Guide: Frequently Asked Questions
What are Brake Pads?
A critical part of your vehicle's disc brake system -- more specifically, the textured surfaces on top of the brake calipers.
What Do Brake Pads Do?
Act as friction-creating media between the calipers and the brake rotors. This resistance is what helps slow the vehicle's wheels and tires, eventually bringing it to a complete stop.
How Many and What Types of Brake Pads are There?
Generally, four -- organic, metallic/semi-metallic, ceramic, and carbon fiber.
- Organic brake pads are dependable enough for everyday driving. What makes them so is their relative ease on rotors, their inexpensiveness, and the fact that they produce very little brake dust.
- Ceramic brake pads are more durable. You can rely on them in all kinds of weather, they're quieter, and their dust doesn't stick to wheels as badly.
- Metallic/semi-metallic brake pads are designed to work great at high heat. They also feel firmer when you step on the brake pedal, and they reliably stand up to brake fade.
- Carbon fiber brake pads are both highly resilient and superior operators at high temperatures. As such, they provide ultimate stopping power.
When Do You Change Brake Pads?
It depends on how you drive and where, but generally, every 40,000 to 50,000 miles or so.
What are the Signs Brake Pads May be Going Bad?
- Dashboard warning lights
- Damaged surfaces
- Whiny brakes
- Longer stopping times
- Vibrating brakes
- Grinding noises
- Rotor warp and damage
Why Buy Genuine Lexus Brake Pads?
They're designed to fit your car or SUV, guaranteed. You may not get that kind of peace of mind from the aftermarket.
Where Can I Order OEM Brake Pads for My Lexus?
Online, from our auto parts store. To find what you need more quickly, browse our catalog by your model and its year. Buy now, and we'll ship fast, delivering right to your address in no time.
No results found for "brake pad". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!